This is an on-demand class. You'll receive a PDF digital download with instructions on how to view the class, material list, and Visible Mending for Knits booklet download. Run time: approximately 90 minutes.
This is a recorded class from late January 2023. In this fun and interactive workshop you will get hands-on skills for mending your knit clothes. This workshop teaches you hand darning techniques for mending your socks and sweaters. This is an introductory class to hand darning for all skill levels.
You’ll learn how to repair your holey socks and sweaters. You’ll also learn the best tools and materials for repairing your knits. All skill levels are welcome. Repair a sweater or sock while watching this video or practice your skills with materials in a mending kit (optional add-on).
- Best tools and materials for darning and repairing knit fabrics
- How to darn sweaters and socks with a hand darned rectangle (shown in photos)
- This style of darning is visible mending, like the repairs shown in the photos
- PDF digital document with list of supplies, materials, and resource guide
- Link to view 90 minute recorded class
- Visible Mending Knit Booklet PDF
When: Watch whenever you have the time. Class runs about 90 minutes long.
- Purchase a mending kit to practice this hand darning technique. Kits include: Cotton fabric swatch for practicing, a few small cotton swatches for patching, cotton embroidery thread, cotton Sashiko thread, 5 sharp darning needles, 1 tapestry needle, wool yarn, 6 straight pins, needle threader, and visible mending booklet. Colors will vary and will be chosen for you. Mending kits will be shipped to you with your chosen shipping option.
- If you take both this class and the Mending Basics Workshop, one kit is enough materials for both classes.
This is an introductory class and you'll learn skills to mend your clothes. Even if you've never darned before this class is an introduction to hand darning.
What is Visible Mending? Visible mending is a radical act. By making your clothes last longer you're challenging the way we consume clothing. Visible mending brings attention to your loved clothing that might have otherwise ended up in the landfill.
On-Demand Workshop Policies:
Digital downloads are non-transferable and non-refundable. You'll receive a recording of the class and a material list for sourcing supplies for mending your knitted clothes.